Diversity and Inclusion
This committee organizes and implements a summer clerkship program for first-year law students from the three Houston law schools to encourage equal opportunities for minority lawyers in the legal profession. Provides educational service and support programs for minority law students. The committee also coordinates a diversity award.
Thank you to this year's participating employers!
- Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Sorrels, Agosto, Aziz & Stogner
- Harris County Attorney’s Office
- U.S. District Court Judge Alfred H. Bennett
- Harris County Civil Court at Law #4 Judge Lesley Briones
- Harris County 125th District Court Judge Kyle Carter
- CenterPoint Energy, Inc.
- Harris County 113th District Court Judge Rabeea Collier
- Conley Rose, PC
- Harris County Probate Court #3 Judge Jason Cox
- Harris County 270th District Court Judge Dedra Davis
- Harris County District Attorney’s Office
- County Criminal Court at Law #12 Judge Genesis Draper
- U.S. Magistrate Court Judge Andrew Edison
- The Ericksen Law Firm
- Foley Gardere
- U.S. District Court Judge Vanessa Gilmore
- Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Marvin Isgur
- Kane Russell Coleman Logan PC
- Locke Lord LLP
- McGinnis Lochridge
- Harris County 190th District Court Judge Beau Miller
- U.S. District Court Judge Gray H. Miller
- Padilla & Rodriguez LLP
- Harris County 55th District Court Judge Latosha Lewis Payne
- Harris County 234th District Court Judge Lauren Reeder
- Harris County 127th District Court Judge Ravi K. Sandill
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Harris County Civil Court At Law #3 Judge LaShawn A. Williams
The D&I summer clerkship program gives racially/ethnically diverse and LGBTQ+ first-year law students at South Texas College of Law Houston, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, and the University of Houston Law Center the opportunity to apply for summer law clerk positions. The committee planned and organized virtual programming for the hired clerks including a boot camp, virtual mixer, and mentorship program.
The HBA’s 2020 Diversity and Inclusion Summer Associates Luncheon, which celebrates those who participated in this year’s summer clerkship program and presents the HBA’s diversity awards, is currently set for September 9, 2020 at the Hyatt Regency. Watch the HBA website for further details.
HBA Diversity and Inclusion Committee members and program alumni visited with a full room of South Texas College of Law Houston students on October 29 for an information session regarding the D&I 1L Summer Clerkship Program for 2020.
Jackie Coleman, Bracewell LLP
Collin Cox, Yetter Coleman LLP
Renée Lowe, Harris County Attorney’s Office
The Hon. Ravi K. Sandill, 127th District Court
For more information on this committee, contact Bonnie Simmons at firstname.lastname@example.org or (713) 759-1133.